Sunday, 10 May 2015

Mother's Day 2015

I was sick last year on Mother's Day and we got up to basically nothing. I wore a pretty robe for a few snaps around the house, but that's about as fancy as we got.

This year, the hubs did good. Reeeeal good. I came home from work to find a sparkling clean house, and a mini treasure hunt. It started with a note telling me to go to the kitchen, with a trail of rose petals to lead the way. There in the kitchen were roses and chocolates, and another note leading me to the fridge. There, there was an American cheesecake with a cherry on top. And to top it off there was a note from him advising he would do the dishes.


<3<3<3 Very nice, baby, very nice. <3<3<3

The cherry on top of the day was definitely the matching dresses that Pigtails and Pirates custom made for Selene and I! For a mama and daughter who always matches, I have never actually purchased custom-made clothing. I've always been able to find things that match well enough. 

Now, I think, I have passed the point of no return. The matchy-ness was absolute perfection and send my pinup heart a-fluttering. I don't know how to go back to less-than-perfectly-coordinated clothing. What have you done to me, Pigtails?!?!

I don't even know where to start with my experience, so I suppose the beginning will do.

I discovered Pigtails and Pirates through random suggestions by Instagram from other similar profiles I liked. After months of lusting and saving for the perfect dresses, I contacted Laura Jones, creator of the brand, to see what she could do. I asked for pink, matching dresses. She replied almost instantly and provided me with several digital fabric samples of what was available. I decided in the end on the white, red and pink floral fabric, as I felt it would do better in winter than the other cheery and bright fabrics they had, and would match well with the white coats Selene and I wear almost daily.

The dresses arrived within 2.5 weeks, and she even sent them express to ensure they would arrive in time for Mother's Day. 

I squealed when they arrived. The fit was exactly as it should be, with the waist and bust fitting to a tee. Never before have I donned such a perfectly fitted dress, even though I just ordered a standard size 8 and didn't give her my measurements. I ordered Selene's dress in a size 2, and found that though it is a little big (even at 16 months, she is still between sizes 0 and 1), it is still something she can wear now without it falling off her shoulders, and she has lots of room to grow into it.

It was a very chilly day today, with rain to boot, so whilst I took a quick couple of photos to show off the dresses without additional layers, Selene and I wore cardigans today to fight the cold.


I find that the fabric is so light weight, and the skirt full enough that even a thing petticoat adds alot of swing and fullness. It;s not even properly portrayed here because Selene is squishing some of the dress down, but it really was twirl-worthy.







We went out to lunch and dessert today as a family, and everywhere I went, people were stopping me to ask where I got Selene and my outfits from Mothers in the restaurant, sales assistants in Pumpkin Patch, random passerbys who were telling their friends that's how they will one day dress with their daughters. I felt amazing. I even had a photographer doing portraits for mother's day practically beg me to come take some photos because he had all these ideas in mind. Now I'm not saying I'm all kinds of fabulous. No. I owe it to these kick-ass dresses. 




Shoes - Mary Janes in White from Pinup Girl Clothing (similar here, strap is lower)


So thank you, fabulous Ms. Jones, for creating a company with which I can indulge in my pinup style and perfectly coordinate with my favourite little princess. Your customer service, eye for detail and designs are second to none. <3

To order your own custom dress(es) from Pigtails and Pirates, simply contact Laura through the contact portion of the website, or via her instagram page

What did you do for Mother's Day? xo, Miss Betty Doll

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig