Friday, 16 October 2015

Maternity Pinup Style - Gingham Gal in Heart of Haute

Ages before I had even announced my pregnancy, I began putting out feelers for what retro repro companies deemed appropriate for maternity wear for at least part of pregnancy.

Heart of Haute was one of the first I reached out to. I asked the ladies which of their styles they thought would work for a bump, phrasing it as "what would you say is the most free around the waist area". I was met with the reply that, amoungst others, the Sweetie Dress would be a dream for an expanding belly due to the free waist and tie at the back.

To be brutally honest, this was originally the only thing I struggled with on Heart of Haute dresses. I was afraid anything free waisted, even tied in the back, wouldn't work for me. Not only was I terribly wrong (I loved the little ties in the back whether maternity friendly or not! Makes for a tighter, more custom waisted fit) but I am so thankful for them now that I have no idea how big I will be from one day to the next.



I have a case of the disappearing bump. I am now 18 weeks pregnant and after living off of plain pasta and bread for the first trimester, I am now craving nothing but fresh tomatoes and big salads. Thus, I have no tummy bloating to speak of and have in fact lost a bit of the weight I gained in the first couple of months of pregnancy.

The Sweetie Dress is perfect for that. Some days I don't even look pregnant (I was full of delicious noms the day I did this shoot hehe!) and being able to tie the dress nice and tight and accentuate my waist is a lovely plus.



I grabbed one in black gingham to match an outfit Selene already had (shocked?). I got a size medium, up a size from my usual small. I didn't need to and regret the decision now, as I have some fabric bunching in the back that I know I wouldn't have had with my normal size. I can safely say that even a size small would easily get me through all of pregnancy in this dress.



It's already a favourite of mine! The light and breezy fabric, the a-line skirt, the generous bust and waist, the sweetheart neckline. This is one of those kinds of dresses I would dream about wearing as a little girl.








So, the verdict - I recommend the sweetie dress regardless of pregnancy, but if you are pregnant - get this dress!! It's a steel at $90 USD, and it will last you well beyond pregnancy. The neck tie even means it's breastfeeding friendly as well - just untie, feed, and tie again!

As a personal update, I am feeling fabulous. Finally. I had a fair bit of anxiety and a whole lot of exhaustion and nausea in my first trimester, as I mentioned last time. Now, I am doing pilates with one of my girlfriends almost every day via webcam (because, mom life), my house is clean all the time (as clean as it gets with a toddler sprinkling magical messes behind me) and I can cook dinner without needed to be sick. Yay!

I have some water bloating just like last time, but my aforementioned salad cravings are helping with that anyway. I am actually less bloated than I was with Selene. I am now 64 kilos and have been for awhile now. I started at 58.

Baby is wiggling all the time and I am so thankful to be able to feel it so early. Sometimes if I'm having a bad day, I feel a little wiggle in my tummy and give myself a mental kick. There's lots to be grateful for.

I have a baby sprinkle, Selene's second birthday, a baby nursery and christmas to get through in the next few months, so I am enjoying a few weeks of calm before the (very happy!) storm. I love parties and all things homey, so all of these events are a big deal to me. I have been practicing with fondant decor so that I can do Selene's birthday cake myself this year, So excited for what the next few months will bring!

Do you own a Sweetie Dress? What's your favourite Heart of Haute design? xo, Miss Betty Doll





















Share:

4 comments

  1. Gorgeous, as always! Congratulations to you & your family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are radiant, sweet dear! What a gorgeous dress. It really sings on you!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you bought the gingham to match Selene's outfit ~you two look so cute! It's great that you are feeling better too. :) ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Love! First of all THANK you for the huge list of Maternity Styles for Pinups! I am stoked to have stumbled across this list. It's going to come in very handy for the upcoming car show and Pageant season! how did this style of dress fit when you were farther along? I will be in my last trimester for the summer so I'm hoping this style will hold true through it. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig