Tuesday, 2 February 2016

Selene's Second Birthday and Maternity Pinup Style - Milan Dress by Heart of Haute

When Heart of Haute offered to send through a few dresses, there was one dress that I immediately knew I had to have -  The Milan in Baby Blue Sateen. Not only was it a solid colour dress in a beautiful hue with a unique neckline, but it was also perfect for my daughter Selene's Alice in Wonderland second birthday party.

I set off to work asking several fellow pinups what the fit was like, including the fabulous Miss Amy May, who was kind enough to send me photos of the fit within hours of my asking. She really is the best :)

Based on the information she gave me, I ordered a size medium in hopes that it would fit my baby bump. Much to my excitement - it did!



The belt it comes with is very generous - not normally something I need or seek out in a belt, but a total necessity in my current, more curvaceous state. With my normally 25" waist currently at 31", there's even a little room to spare.

There is a bit of gathering in the back from wearing it up over my bump. It goes away when pulled taut as it is meant to be worn, so it's definitely me and not the dress! You can see what I mean in the photo below. It's not an issue for me at all and the dress still gives a lovely sillouette, but it is something to bear in mind if you are purchasing it for pregnancy wear.


The skirt is very full, and the sateen fabric makes for all the twirly fun a girl could ask for. It is also supremely comfortable. It will also be breastfeeding friendly post pregnancy, and looks easy enough to take in.

 
I've only got a month and a bit to go with my pregnancy, so I am thinking it is an absolute necessity to grab the Milan in Rose Print in my usual size small asap. It's just so lush and beautiful!
 


And now onto the event the dress was worn for - Selene's Second Merry Unbirthday Party!

At nearly two years old, Selene likes a variety of things. Minnie Mouse, Miles from Tomorrowland and unicorns all seem to float her boat at the moment, but she's still not at an age to really tell me what kind of birthday she would like. Thus, I got to do the choosing for possibly the last year ever - next year she will be able to tell me what she wants! So I went with the funnest theme I could think of - Alice in Wonderland, vintage style.





There were sparkling food tent labels,  "drink me" bottles for the kiddies, an Alice in Wonderland character visitor that entertained the children for over an hour, a photo booth, what I thought was lots of food (it all went very quickly) and, of course, cake.

This was my second attempt at a fondant cake and it turned out alright! I still can't cover a cake smoothly to save my life, but it ended up being Selene's favourite part of the party and 10 hours of loving cake labour later, it was all worth it. When I show her photos of the party, she stares at them blankly until she sees a photo of the cake, at which point she jumps up and says "cake for Selene!" and runs around excitedly. So yes, I will be doing one again next year, even if it exhausts me as much as this one did :)


 

 

I ended up being really, genuinely exhausted by the time the party actually started (that's third trimester for you!) so I was really thankful that I had Alice there to keep the kids happy. She was perfectly punctual, even stayed a little later to take photos with the children, and highly energetic. She didn't bat an eyelash at the few toddler meltdowns that occured (as they are bound to do) and twisted balloons like nobody's business. Hiring a character isn't something I will need to do every year, but I think it was a necessity this year and would recommend doing it to anyone with toddlers to impress!


 


(Forever not smiling for photos. Cheeky child)


 We had just close friends, Selene's godfamily and mother's group there, so it was intimate enough to keep track of everyone and definitely more low key than last year.

 
 
Overall it was a wonderful day and Selene had fun, which, party planning aside, is really all that matters. 

Do you own the Milan Dress by Heart of Haute? What items from their spring collection have you been lusting after? xo, Miss Betty Doll











Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig