Thursday, 17 March 2016

Introducing....

Hello darlings! I wanted to interrupt your regularly scheduled pinup posts to make an exciting announcement!

Introducing Aurora Eveline, born on 12th March 2016 at 10:55pm.


 



I was sitting in bed the afternoon before she was born when I felt a small pop! and knew that my waters broke. It was less dramatic than with my firstborn, Selene, so I knew there would be no dramatic, movie-like gush. I called my midwife to let her know that my waters had broken without me being in labor, so she asked me to come down to the hospital just for a quick assessment and to discuss options just in case I didn't go into labour within the next 24 hours (this can leave baby at risk).

We took Selene out for dinner first and let her know baby sister was coming soon (as I had hoped I would go into labor that night, perhaps after going to sleep as often happens to pregnant women). She was very excited!

We dropped her off at my husbands parents house and went to the hospital. After sitting in the assessment room for a couple of hours, hoping we could head off soon, I felt a very strong contraction. I had been getting them all week so I didn't think too much of it. Within 10 minutes I had another 2, and knew Aurora was on her way!

It was the middle of shift swap for the midwives on duty, so everything felt a little rushed from there. After half an hour of laboring I hopped in the shower adjoining the room I was in, so the hot water could help with the pain. Another half an hour passed and a midwife advised me I had gone from 0-8cms within the hour I had been in labor. She rushed me down to a birthing suite where I hopped right back in the shower.

I asked for the bath to be drawn for me so I could have a water birth like I did with Selene, however I was told I was too close to delivering and the bath wouldn't fill in time. I had no choice but to labor in bed. The shower was helping with the pain but I had no way to cuddle my husband or deliver Aurora in a comfortable position. I had the lights dimmed and classical lullabies played to help promote a calm atmosphere. I breathed through the contractions the best I could and pushed her out with just a few pushes. My husband caught her, just like he did with our first.

Overall it was a very easy delivery. I am a big believer in hypnobirthing and really finding your zone and staying there throughout labor, however it was difficult with this little miss coming so quickly and so many midwives doing a shift swap. Nonetheless, I am so thankful for such a quick and smooth birth.

We went home a few hours later. I am not a massive fan of hospitals and prefer to be in the comfort of my own home! My brother in law and his wife were waiting to greet us. My brother in law had been waiting for us when Selene was born as well, and we arrived home at the same time (4am) as we did with Selene. It was magical to be able to provide the same greeting for this little one!

I am recovering very well and very quickly. Aurora was born a few days before her due date whereas Selene was born on her actual due date, so she ended up being a little smaller than Selene was at birth. This has made recovery very easy as she was easier to get out!

There is an extra special joy in having two little ones to love. When we had Selene we knew we didn't want to wait too long before having another, so in a way we have been waiting for Aurora's arrival since we had her sister!

We are so in love with her. She is an amazing sleeper (so far, I expect that will change soon when she is no longer an extra sleepy little newborn) and we have already bonded so thoroughly.

Everyone warned me Selene would be jealous. There's still plenty of time for that I suppose, but so far she is nothing but thrilled to have a baby sister. All she wants to do is kiss and cuddle her, and even plops a pillow in her lap several times a day and asks me to put Aurora on it so she can hold her. She doesn't mind when she cries and even wakes up at night when Aurora does to advise us, through her baby moniter, that Aurora is sad when she hears her cry. Hopefully it all lasts!

Thank you to everyone who stuck with me throughout my pregnancy journey. I have lots of things to review and can't wait to get started with photoshoots again once I am feeling up to it. Till then, you'll find me with my newly expended little family, soaking in all the cuddles I can!


Is there anything in particular you would like to see in the blog now that maternity posts are over? Xo, Miss Betty Doll
Share:

3 comments

  1. With all my heart, I am beyond elated for you and your family. Aurora, much like her name, is as beautiful and sweet as can possibly be.

    Huge hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* I can't speak from a parental standpoint, as I do not have children, but I can tell you that there wasn't a spark of rivalry or jealously between me and my siblings when a new member entered the family, and I personally don't think that such is always the case in the slightest. A lot of children are overjoyed to have a new brother or sister and do everything they can to help make baby feel welcome (as it looks and sounds like Selene is doing for her darling new sister).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THank you beautiful <3 I agree! I think I'm afraid to let my guard down in case Selene does end up jealous, but she's such a sweet girl (when she's not having a toddler meltdown haha!) and I think she's going to be just fine :) It's so good to hear that none of your siblings were jealous either!!

      - Miss Betty Doll x

      Delete

Blog Design Created by pipdig