Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Coming Up Roses with Voodoo Vixen

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with sleeved retro dresses. Unless they are made of complete stretch material, I am always nervous they will be uncomfortable in the arms. I do lots of lifting during the day with a newborn and a toddler in tow, so comfort in dresses is a priority for me.

I present to you: The Rosie Dress by Voodoo Vixen.

This, surprisingly, is my first Voodoo Vixen purchase, and suffice it to say it won't be my last.

The second I saw the print, I knew I had to have it. I am a sucker for florals, so much so that I sometimes wear my summer dresses with layers during winter months. I just can't live without them. This dress was especially favorable to me as the sleeves make it wearable for winter, and like a dress intended for cooler months, without adding my own layers to it (having said that, I do daydream about wearing it with my faux-fur lined coat).



The fabric offers the tiniest bit of stretch - just enough to make it feel breathable. I ordered a size small, and would say it runs a little big. My normal size is small, and this dress is a little loose on me even with 5 extra kilos of baby weight to lose. My current measurements are 37-27-37 and I fill out the bust well with about an inch or two of wiggle room in the waist. I will probably wear a belt with it when I lose the weight accentuate my waist more

Mamas - it is not what I would call breastfeeding friendly. As I have said on several pinup facebook forums - I am a boob smuggler. If there is a way to get a breast out of a dress, I will do it. (to myself, unless I've had one too many and we are close enough. ha). So whilst I do wear this whilst out and about breastfeeding, it is a bit if a struggle to do so. Just bear that in mind when purchasing!
 

The fabric itself is of a medium weight, making it perfect for transitional months - springtime especially! As I said above, I believe it will keep me warm enough in Melbourne winters with a coat thrown over top.

The pleating in the bust and self covered buttons give me major 40's vibes that I love.

I wore this one to the nail salon so I skipped a petticoat, but you could fit a thinner petticoat underneath without a problem. Fluffier petticoats may be a struggle, but I don;t think the silhouette warrants one anyway.



   


Overall, I love this dress. As many women do, I have been struggling with body image since I had Aurora a month ago, and this is the first dress I've put on that made me feel beautiful, without me picking on a single body flaw. If it can do that for me then I guarantee you it can do that for anyone :)

I cannot find this exact dress on the official Voodoo website at the moment, but I did find it here (Australia) and here (US) . You can however find the Judy on the Voodoo Vixen website, which is the same dress in a different colored pattern.

Happy Shopping!

How do you transition your florals for winter? What dress gives you body confidence like no other? xo, Miss Betty Doll
Share:

2 comments

  1. That is such an eye-catchingly fantastic floral print! Love the cut and shape of the dress itself, too. May I ask, honey, how tall are you? I inquire because I'm barely 5'2" and find that even on me some of VV's frocks run short (I like dresses and skirts that hit below my knees), so I'm always a bit leery of ordering from them unless I'm confident as to where they might reach on my gams (I wish VV, and way more clothing sites, would list garment length!).

    Thanks!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should list my measurements actually! I know length is something I often wonder about when reading dress reviews. I am 5'6". I comes to mid knee length, which is my favourite length for dresses <3

      Delete

Blog Design Created by pipdig