Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Bernie Dexter Paris Dress Review

With the release of Pinup Girl Clothing's Alice in Wonderland lookbook, which led to my purchase of the beautiful Manor Print Paris Dress by Bernie Dexter, I received several questions on the fit of the Paris Dress. I therefore thought a little blog review was in order!


Bernie Dexter dresses can cost upwards of $200USD, which can be nearly twice that amount here in Australia depending on how the AUD is fairing. Basically, they cost a pretty penny and it's best to be sure you want one before you buy one!

The Paris dress was my first Bernie Dexter purchase and as you can see, it started a bit of an obsession. The gathered bust, the full skirt, the plethora of beautiful prints... what's not to love?
 
The fabric, which comes in everything from a pale blue toile print (no longer made but worth looking on ebay for!) to florals and fruits, is made of a light weight cotton with an itsy bit of stretch to it. I should mention it isn't lined and is definitely made with summer weather in mind. I am wearing it here on an 18C day with a lightweight cardigan, but anything below that and I would have been quite chilly. I remember feeling surprised by this with my first Paris purchase, as for the price I expected a heavier weight fabric. Having said that, it doesn't compromise the quality in any way, as all of my Paris dresses have withstood wash after wash and show absolutely no signs of wear or tear.

The gathered bustline is my favourite feature of this dress (take note, the bust is barely gathered on the Manor Print Paris, perhaps to avoid obstructing that particular print) and makes for a super flattering neckline. And yes, as you can see, it is pretty busty. It's very demure though. The hemline also falls to just below the knee on my 5'6" frame, which is my favourite length.





I have read several reviews stating the size chart is all over the place and tends to run large. I don't find this to be true. Normally my measurements are 35-25-35, and a size small has always fit me comfortably. At the moment I am more like 37-27-37 with a very full DD bust and the dress is now a little snug, with no breathing room in the chest area. I can't wait to lose the baby weight (which is finally starting to come off, thank God) so that my Bernies fit me more comfortably! I'm thankful the weather in getting chillier here in Melbourne so that I can wear cardigans with my dresses to cover up how much I have squeezed myself into them.









It closes with a hidden zip down the back which ends below the waistline, so it is very easy to take on and off. I also find it supremely comfortably, and wear these around the house during warm weather.
Overall I feel like these dresses are very well constructed and worth the money. The quality, variety, fit and construction are all perfection, and my most recent Paris purchase won't be my last.






Thank you to Lani Jane of Lani Jane and Lyza May was kind enough to snap these photos for me during our playdate this morning! We have seven little princesses between us, and play dates with her sweet girls are always gorgeous. She was actually the first pinup I met here in Melbourne almost a year ago, and is truly a kindred spirit.


How do you find the fit of Bernie Dexter dresses? xo, Miss Betty Doll  


Share:

1 comment

  1. What a stellar, helpful post! The price issue is much the same with them here in Canada, so to date I've only been able to purchase one BD dress. I found the fit to be on the smaller side, but still totally wearable. I love BD's offerings to bits and really do hope I can add more of her dresses to my closet as time goes on.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig