Tuesday, 31 May 2016

Lindy Bop Ophelia Dress Review

I feel my blog post titles show how exhausted I am as a mother - there is nothing creative about them. No clever quips to be had here. This is a review of the Lindy Bop dress called the Ophelia. Full stop.

You love me anyway, right?

Moving on - I have been lusting after dresses of this style for years. The sweetheart crossover bust encased in a swooping fabric. I knew it would be flattering on, but somehow I never got around to getting one. Then a couple of months ago, I was browsing Lindy Bop's childrenswear and decided I had to grab an Ophelia dress while I was at it.

I was pleasantly surprised when it arrived. For the price ( £35 or around $50 USD) I expected some flimsy thing with minimal lining. Instead I received a dress made of a thick and sturdy stretch cotton, with a fabric weighty enough to not fly up at a passing breeze.
 


 


Getting it on was easy with the hidden zip that goes all the way up the back to the high neckline. My heart sank a little when I moved my arms, however, as I found the armholes uncomfortably tight around the bottom. I've experienced this before, and knew that if I wore it for more than an hour or so, it would rub my underarms raw. I don't have big arms by any means, so I'm guessing this has more to do with how high the underarm area comes.


In any case, I gave it to my seamstress (AKA mother-in-law) who simply removed the thick band that encased the armhole from inside the dress. It took her all of 15 minutes, and all she did was unpick it and cut it off. The second I zipped the dress up again, I could feel the difference. I have now worn it out several times without any bit of discomfort.



You can see in this photo where the double layer ends. Basically there were two layers of fabric to give the arm hole structure, but they were making it too tight so we cut one layer off. Because this is a hidden part of the dress and not visible from the outside, it's something you can do yourself. If that makes you too nervous, I would still definitely get this dress and take it to a seamstress if you have the same issue as I did. It's a cheap fix and easily justified given how little the dress costs!



In all other areas, the dress was a perfect fit and super comfortable. I ordered a size 8, which is the same as a US size 4 or a standard size small (though it is listed as an XS on the Lindy Bop USA website, so bear this in mind when ordering. Be sure to check out the size chart). The shoulders, the waist, the bust - all of it fits as it should. For reference I am currently 37-26-37 (normally 35-25-35 without this baby weight that I am slowly getting off). I am currently 64 kilos at 5'6" and I can tell it would fit me at my normal measurements of 35-25-35 as well.

The crossover bust means it is breastfeeding friendly, for all you mamas out there who require such a thing. Also, it is gathered, which means it can stretch to accommodate a range of bust sizes.

This is an a-line dress and not a full circle skirt, but you can still fit a petticoat under there without a problem. I am wearing one here of medium fluff.

I am really, really excited that we found a fix for the fit of the dress, because it's gorgeous and super inexpensive, and comes in a wide range of prints and colors! I am already planning my next order. I'm loving the navy version, and am very keen to try their other offerings.



I'll be reviewing their children and babywear soon!

Until next time,
xo, Miss Betty Doll


Share:

10 comments

  1. Ooh this is great! I have two Ophelias which I love but I can never wear them for a full day without the armhole starting to rub - definitely gonna give this a try! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works for you! It's always exciting when we find quick solutions for wardrobe problems ♡♡

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing the simple solution! So glad it worked out, it is a cute dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for reading, beautiful!

      Delete
    2. Thank YOU for reading, beautiful!

      Delete
  3. So beautiful! I love (!!!) shelf bust dresses, be they repro of genuine vintage, a great deal, too, but have to tread lightly with them, as I'm not overly busty at all and sometimes they can detract, rather than add to or (at least remain neutral with) my modest assets, if you will. :)

    This one looks absolutely all kinds of fabulous on you and it's so great that your MIL was able to help with the fit issue.

    Big hugs & happy start of June wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the feeling- its not something I have to worry about when I'm breastfeeding, but normally, even with size December, my chest can get a little lost in shelf busts ♡ you can pull anything off though, lovely!

      Delete
    2. I understand the feeling- its not something I have to worry about when I'm breastfeeding, but normally, even with size December, my chest can get a little lost in shelf busts ♡ you can pull anything off though, lovely!

      Delete
  4. I have a problem with the bust fabric ...it shifts in odd ways, too spread out, so photographed funny, but I like the dress a lot...I might tack the folds of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a problem with the bust fabric ...it shifts in odd ways, too spread out, so photographed funny, but I like the dress a lot...I might tack the folds of fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig