Wednesday, 27 July 2016

Baking With Littles - Polenta Muffins

The past couple of Baking with Little Ones posts have been fun, but not the easiest to pull off if you are a busy mama (or auntie, or person without children who loves to bake). I wanted to give you all a tried and true recipe that you can whip together before guests arrive AND keep your child(ren) entertained with.

A dear girlfriend of mine first introduced me to polenta muffins when she brought them for Selene's first birthday. She poured the whole batch on a cookie sheet and cut them out into little hearts, which is something I love doing as well. Selene loves to choose which shape to use and help me cut the muffins out once it's all cooled. But for today, I had a band of toddlers coming over so I wanted something we could all just grab with the wrapper and munch without a plate.

I combined her recipe and several others until I found one I was happy with. Because I knew I would have Selene's ballet first thing in the morning and no time in between to clean or prepare much, I threw all the ingredients in a bowl the night before. For Selene's part, I let her mix everything up and pour it into the cupcake liners.






 (My dress is from Hardley Dangerous Couture, review here )


 Here's the recipe:

Polenta Muffins
2 cups low fat milk
1/2 cup olive oil
2 large eggs
1/2 red onion
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup bulgarian feta
1/4 cup cheddar cheese
1 medium red capsicum, chopped

Making it is as simple as the ingredients. Mix everything together, pour them into a cupcake tray lined with cupcake liners and bake at 200*C for 15 minutes. 

You can use all cheddar instead of feta. You can top with cheddar cheese for a crispy top like I did. You can add ham. You can add spinach. The possibilities are endless, really. And if you're a party thrower like me, you can cut them into shapes according to the theme. The best thing about these is the batter is quite thick, so even a two year old can spoon them into the cupcake liners without a problem. 



So, yay! Winning from all angles. 

On a side note, those of you who follow me on instagram may notice that I have a pattern. Hair down, hair down, hair up. I wash my hair every 3 days, so the last day always requires an updo. I've been doing a lot of my rolled bang and ponytail hairstyle lately, but I wanted to try something different. I can't just do a plain ponytail at the moment because, well... during pregnancy your hair doesn't shed at all, but after birth it sheds all at once. 9 months of shedding, all in one go. It's awful and annoying and if you're like me, you end up with a receeding hairline for a few months. I know, it's almost too sexy to even mention. So that's why I end up with so many rolled bang and side bang updos.

Anyway, I've done this 60's style ponytail a couple of times and I love it. Any of you girls that lack length in your high ponytails can try it this way instead. I've had a few girls ask me if I do hair tutorials. The answer is no, but I'm happy to share where I get my hairstyles from! Here's the one I used today :)

So there you have it! This blog series is pretty new, so let me know here or on instagram or facebook if they are actually interesting/useful at all!

Thanks for reading!

xo Miss Betty Doll
Share:

1 comment

  1. Awesome muffin recipe - it makes me think of a really jazzed up version of the classic cornbread muffins (and loaves) I grew up with (especially if we were having Southwestern fair for dinner). Thank you for sharing this delightful savoury dish with us.

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig