Saturday, 13 August 2016

Getting Ready With Little Ones Part 2

One of the topics I got asked about the most after having Aurora was how to get ready with two. It was something that was on my mind a lot before I had her, too! I already had my routine with my eldest, Selene, who would come into my bed in the mornings and chill out on a tablet while I took my time getting ready. I knew that with two, that wouldn't work.

So, if you've read my older blog post on getting ready with little ones, you will know there are a few ground rules I set out to make my life easier. They were things such as
  • Get yourself ready first
  • Shower the night before so your hair is dry
  • Pick out outfits the night before

These things are even more important now, but there are some things I've adjusted in my routine.

First off, I wake up before both Selene and Aurora. I used to wait for Selene to wake me up, but those times are long gone. This is because I have two children to get ready for the day now, and Aurora will be losing it by the time I am done getting us all ready if I decide to wait until they are both awake to get my booty moving.

I wake up around 8:15am. Selene wakes up around 8:30-8:45am, so getting a head start on her is vital. Aurora normally wakes up for a feed around that time, so I pull her into bed with me and feed her back to sleep for what can be anywhere from 20 minutes to half an hour. Again, having her asleep gives me just enough time to get ready.

My morning routine is my "me" time. I am a better mother when I have primped to my heart's content, just as some parents can't function without their morning coffee or eating breakfast first thing. I check up on social media updates and the news on my phone while I do my hair, and it's generally relaxing - until my princesses are both awake, of course.

I keep my makeup simple. Yes, there are false eyelashes and bright lips involved, but I do the same makeup every day and only change my lipstick color. I do not fuss around with smoky eyes or different eyeliner. It's nor a priority for me with my look and it takes up more time than it is worth for me.


One thing I have also found helpful now is to get a hair routine going. I wash my hair every two days. I don't have oily hair so it stays fresh until Day 3 when I wash it, but if you do have oily hair then I suggest dry shampoo. My hairdo routine is Day 1 down, Day 2 half up and Day 3 up, generally in a ponytail with a victory roll at the front. This helps to relieve pressure in the mornings, as it's only on Day 1, when I need to curl every inch of my hair, that I absolutely have to make sure Aurora is asleep and I am awake before Selene. On Day 2 and 3 it's not so important, as I can just brush my hair and pin it back on Day 2, and do the quick updo on Day 3. It cuts my getting ready time in half on those days.

For quick pinup hair tutorials I suggest Natalie Vintagious on Youtube!

Overnight curling options are also a great tip. My hair doesn't take well to pin curls, but foam rollers work well for a lot of women. 

Another tip is to keep accessories to a minimum. I used to perfectly match brooches and earrings and all of my hair pretties to my outfits. Now, I just worry about my outfit and change my earrings once a week.This helps simplify everything for me. In summer, I also throw one of my hair flowers on. That's it.
 

So, from start to finish, my routine is like this:

8:15am - Wake up. Feed Aurora back to sleep if she has woken up with me.
8:20am - Brush teethe, etc
8:25am - Do hair and makeup. If Aurora wakes up, put her in her play pen.
8:45am - Get Selene up if she is asleep. Let her sit on the tablet while I finish dressing and getting Aurora ready.
9:00am - Get Selene dressed.

Done!


Now, it is definitely not as succinct as it may sound. For example, my husband started working from home a few months ago, which means Selene has been coming into our room and having cuddles with him in bed. This means that all hell breaks loose when I try to get her dressed, as I have to pull her out of our warm, comfy bed to do so. And sometimes Aurora wakes up immediately when I do, which means I have to push everything a little faster so that she's not tired of waiting on me by the time I get all three of us ready. But still, doing everything I said is what enables me to get ready at all.

As you know, I match my girls about 50% of the time. It's a fun hobby for me. It also means they can never get lost in a shopping centre because everyone will know who their mother is ;) It can also add a little time to our morning routine if I'm not careful, so on days I know we will match, I pick out our outfits the night before.

As a bit of a side note, I don't know about you ladies, but there is nothing like looking after everyone else's needs that can make you feel a little frumpy. I wear pjs when I am at home, and they are never, ever faded tracksuits or dingy leggings. Pretty pjs are really a must when you are a mother. They take the exact same amount of time to put on as not so pretty house clothes, which means they are a free commodity in motherhood currency - time. So go out and get some. You can find Peter Alexander on ebay, but honestly even stores like Target and K Mart have pretty things.





 That's about it. I'm happy to answer any other questions you ladies have :)

Thanks for reading!

xo Miss Betty Doll

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig