Monday, 1 August 2016

How to Winterfy Your Watermelon - Unique Vintage Review!

So if you haven't yet heard of the 1950's Watermelon Skirt by Unique Vintage, where have you been?!

It wasn't a style that initially resonated with me. I love kitsch to a certain degree, but the glorified cherry print and now the newest pinup fruit - watermelon, are things I don't wear too often. But when Selene saw me looking at this and said "Wallermeton princess skirt!" with all of the articulation of a two year old, I knew I had to get it.

I love the bright colors on it, but being the middle of winter here, I haven't been able to style with a pretty off the shoulder top or any of the other summery favourites I've been dreaming up. I wasn't about to leave this in my closet until warmer weather graced us here in Melbourne, either, so I thought I would share with you one way to "winterfy" this summery favourite.

Were it summer, I would wear this with a dainty white top, but winter often calls for darker colours. So, I paired the skirt with a black top and a black bolero from Pinup Girl Clothing. Black shoes also helped to darken up the colour scheme of my outfit, again making it more winter friendly.

I love wearing leather (read, pleather. I'm a vegetarian and I don't wear animals, either. I also don't shove my views on anyone, it's just an FYI!) with bright ensembles, as it adds a little but of bad girl edge. I love bright and light colours, but something about long sleeves and longer skirts with too much color makes me feel a little bit "grandma"... Now my mother is a grandmother to my two daughters, and she's a hot, sizzling grandmother if ever I saw one. I just mean that it feels too mature for me at the age and style I'm at right now. Adding a leather jacket pumps up my outfits a bit in cooler weather and makes them feel more me.

Now, there are tons of reviews about the fit and quality of this skirt out there already, given its popularity, so I won't get too in depth here. I will say that the size chart is correct and it's not exactly in line with what you may be used to, so be sure to check it out and size up if you are between sizes. I didn't look at the size chart and grabbed my usual size small. It's meant for a 26 inch waist, and with a couple more kilos of baby weight still to lose, I definitely do not have a 26 inch waist. It zips up and buttons without a problem but the material has absolutely no stretch. When I sit down I have a bit of roll-age going on, which I wouldn't have if I had ordered a medium. My fault for not checking! I am sucking it in in every single one of these photos, fyi ladies, so like I said, it runs a little small. 





Oh! And for those of you who keep asking me "how ever do you blog and study and run a household and care for two children etc etc"... this is generally what happens towards the end of my rushed, 10 minute home photoshoots. One or both of my little princesses will scream for me, and I generally have to put off half the cleaning I would normally do to get a blog post done. So - see this photo below? That's reality, people. Hehe.


The Watermelon Skirt is out of stock at the moment, but it's returning August 15th. So if you want it, add yourself to the waitlist!

Thanks for reading.

xo, Miss Betty Doll
Share:

4 comments

  1. Such a really fun skirt, I love the watermelon print! Love your black jacket as well! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to read, gorgeous!

      xo Miss Betty Doll

      Delete
  2. That is, hands down, the coolest styling of this darling watermelon print skirt that I've seen yet. Adding a leather jacket to it is a brilliant idea. I totally want both pieces now myself, too. :)

    xoxo ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig