Saturday, 3 September 2016

Baking With Littles - Bubblegum Meringues

I remember when I was searching for Selene's first birthday cake, I found a baker that had bubblegum flavoured frosting. It sounded like the most delicious flavour ever (because, refined tastebuds) and I craved it for weeks afterwards.

For some reason, it hadn't occurred to me to just buy some bubblegum flavouring and make something with it. However, after I found some at my local sweets shop, I knew I had to get it and do something with it.

Enter the bubblegum meringue.

These work really well with little ones for a few reasons. First of all, they are only a few ingredients and just involve lots of mixer action. Most kiddos love to hold a mixer - it makes them feel like they are really involved. Second of all, piping the meringues out is messy but easy to do, and is a good way for kids to learn how to use a piping bag. Lastly - sprinkles. Enough said.

For this recipe, I just googled "meringue recipe" and used the first one I found, here. I added a few drops of bubblegum flavoring when mixing.

Bubblegum Meringues

Ingredients

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 120°C. Line two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
  2. Step 2
    Use an electric mixer to whisk egg whites and salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, whisking well between each addition, until sugar dissolves.
  3. Step 3
    Once all the sugar has been added, continue to whisk on high for 3 mins. Whisk in the bubblegum flavouring and food colouring.
  4. Step 4
    Scoop mixture into a piping bag (use any desired tip. I used a Wilton No 2). Pip onto parchment paper lined baking sheet, sprinkle and place in oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 90°C.
  5. Step 5
    Bake meringues for 1 hour 30 mins. Turn oven off and leave meringues in the oven to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.

Check out these adorable aprons from Little Butterfly Creations! Stacey, the mama behind the business, made Selene's dress for Aurora's christening. I was so impressed with her work that I asked her if she did aprons. She whipped together an apron for Selene and myself, and even did a doll-size one for Aurora which fit her perfectly. It's only going to last her for a month or two, but it was very inexpensive and worth it just for the photos :)




 Tips:
  • Pop the kiddos in front of the tv or something while you clean up and place the mixture in the piping bag so that they won't try to "help" with the messy process of getting it in the bag. 
  • Use a twist tie to close the top, so that when they help you pipe the meringues you don't have to worry about it coming out of the top when they squeeze with too much enthusiasm. 

Now, just as a reminder - I get asked a lot what I actually look like when baking with my girls. Yes, I will normally have makeup on (it's my war paint haha), but I'm almost always in leggings and a simple top. Unless I have carved out time to really focus on Selene, I am often wearing Aurora in a baby carrier or I have her on my hip. Cooking and baking when you have children can be stressful, but that's why I set aside time to bake with them specifically, without company coming or a deadline looming, so that they know they are always welcome in the kitchen and that they are independent enough to bake too!

Thanks for reading!

xo Miss Betty Doll
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig