Wednesday, 14 December 2016

Baking With Littles (and other Christmas Inspiration)

I thought I would combine a few Christmas topics into one post, as it is getting so close to Christmas and I will not have time to fit in several posts before Christmas.

So first off - baking!

Every year I bake a massive amount of cookies, and the list of people I give them out to grows annually. There is something soothing about baking with my little ones and imparting my kitchen knowledge onto them. I have the most beautiful memories of baking Christmas cookies with my mother, and one of the hardest parts of moving so far away from her was knowing I would be baking solo. Lucky for me, that only lasted a few years before I was blessed with Selene and now Aurora!

One of my favourite cookie recipes is Eggnog Logs, which my mother found in Taste of Home years ago. My second favourite is classic sugar cookies, as you can cut them out into any shape you prefer. Icing them was one of my favourite Christmas activities every year. This recipe from Deliciously Sprinkled for Eggnog Cut Out Cookies combines both to make something delicious and pretty.



INGREDIENTS

Cookies:
  • 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 16 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup eggnog
Glaze:
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract 
  • 3 Tablespoons eggnog
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.  
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt together.
  3. Using an electric or stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
  4. Add egg and beat until combined.
  5. Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture, and mix until combined.
  6. Add eggnog and mix until combined. DO NOT OVERMIX!
  7. Divide dough into 4 pieces, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
  8. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and eggnog until smooth. Set aside.
  9. Roll out dough to about 1/8 inch thick.
  10. Using a cookie cutter, cut dough into shapes.
  11. Place cookie shapes onto prepared baking pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack. Let cookies cool completely before icing and decorating.

How to make it kid friendly:
  • Make the dough first, so that the bulk of the work is out of the way.
  • Have the littles help you roll it out, and show them how to use the cookie cutters
  • Let them do the fist few, then give them a little hunk of dough while you do the rest. 
  • Once the cookies are baked and cooled, let them dunk the tops into the glaze and sprinkle.

This worked like a charm with Selene. She would not let go of her little hunk of dough. I think she played with it for four hours, on and off,  before I managed to sneak it away from her. Totally worth it.

Don't sweat the small stuff. Meaning sprinkles. When little ones use sprinkles, they go everywhere. EVERYWHERE. It'll all be ok, I promise. Just vacuum it up afterwards. I don't know about you but when I am on maternity leave like now, I have to vacuum every day anyway.





 Since, as stated above, I don't really dress Christmas-specific and therefore don't have any Christmas outfits to review, I thought I would put together a few other Christmas related topics for you!

Pictures

I think we live in an age where pictures are worth a lot to just about everyone. Half of my pinterest collection is pins with picture inspiration. Here were my favourites for both couples and families for Christmas, as well as some pinups.
Christmas sillouettes are kind of my thing right now, so obviously I had to replicate it like in the first photo above.

 
(tip: cut massive snowflakes out of wrapping paper and stick to the wall for a backdrop)




And if you are looking for some pinup christmas shoot inspo:



Outfits:
Christmas dressing for me is pretty simple - a holiday colour pallette made from clothing I can wear year-round. I don't really do many super Christmas-y outfits. If you live in the US, you still have plenty of time to place orders for kitchy Christmas outfits. Though I don't really do these often, here are some of my favourites:

And here are some you can wear any time!

I saw a Vixen fan (I can't find the photo now, so shoutout to whoever you were, you genius thing!) pair this dress with a red belt and a leopard print santa hat. It was insane, in a good way, and I want to replicate it next year. 



Because it's red and sexy. Nuff said. 




I may break the seasonal clothing rules (as usual) and bust out some plaid next Christmas. It's summer here in Australia during Christmas time, but this dress is too beautiful to pass up. 



Whether you are in sunny Australia or in the wintry Northern Hemisphere, I wish you the happiest of holidays <3

Thanks for reading,
Miss Betty Doll
Share:

5 comments

  1. That recipe sounds yummy! Really enjoy your blog when I see you have posted, it's as lovely as you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Miss Ruby, thank you! I bet your Christmas spread was amazing

      Delete
  2. Great recipe! I like to bake cookies too--all year round, ha :) Beautiful family + photos! XO
    Lauren-Blair

    ReplyDelete

Blog Design Created by pipdig