Wednesday, 5 April 2017

Retro Workwear: Karlie Dress by Stop Staring

I've been hinting for months now that I will bring back my Retro Workwear series. I started one two years ago, but it slowly died out after falling too pregnant to be very creative with my workwear. Now that I am back in the office, I am excited to finally continue this series!

When I think of retro workwear, the first place that pops into mind for dresses is Stop Staring. I'm not one for wiggle dresses and skirts day to day, as I like to wear shapewear beneath tighter outfits, and I find that too fussy when chasing after my littles. Thus, I was excited when I returned to the workforce after Aurora was old enough to be without me, as I was able to place a good sized Stop Staring order!

One of my favourite things about Stop Staring is how comfortable their designs always are. I have worn dresses with a similar cut that pinched under the arms or chaffed in places it shouldn't - not what you want at the end of a long day. I've yet to wear a dress from Stop Staring that does any of this. Not only are they comfortable, but the attention to detail is obvious. Here, the gathers at the bottom of the bust and the details at the hips enhance both assets in a figure-flattering way. I am not wearing any shapewear in this shoot, and I don't feel I need it at all in this dress!

Their fabrics are from the heavens, I swear it. The fabric on the Karlie Dress, in particular, is amazing. Bengaline (also known as their millenium fabric) is one of my favourite fabrics due to it's ease of wear and flattering stretch, but the fabric on this one is even better. It's a little difficult to describe: it's slightly textured, which serves to better hide imperfections than bengaline, and a little less stretchy. It's still supremely comfortable, and zipping it up feels like everything just falls into place where it should.

The cut of the arms and bust is very dainty and flattering, with the neckline framing the bust without enhancing your cleavage too much for the office. The cut shows off your curves without being overly clingy, and the details are retro with a modern flair - again, contributing to it's fit for the office.

I am wearing a size small. My current measurements are 35-24-35, and I am 5'6" and 56 kilos, for reference. The size small fits perfectly - especially due to the stretch in the fabric, which helps each size accommodate a broad range.

I can't fault this dress, but if I had to point out one thing, it would be that I wish the bow at the bustline was sewn down. It tends to move sideways throughout the day. Honestly though, that's it! Everything else about this dress is dreamy and beautiful. 

So, if you are looking for retro workwear, I would start with Stop Staring. Their dresses are perfectly suited for both work and play, and are bound to leave you feeling sexy and sophisticated all at once.

Thank you so much for reading!

xo, Miss Betty Doll




Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig