Saturday, 6 May 2017

Aurora's Fairy Princess First Birthday






This entire year has been full of crazy busy insanity. Our family, and myself in particular, has been going through so many transitions and schedule changes that I realised this week I have yet to share the details of Aurora's first birthday party!

Aurora turned 1 in March this year. I had work the day beforehand, and a University exam that very night, so preparations were exhausting. We had a unicorn pony (I kid you not) at Selene's first birthday two years beforehand, so we wanted to ensure Aurora had something beautiful and special to look back at as well! So, no matter how tired we were, we made sure to pull everything together.

Party planning with kiddos is a whole new experience. Time management and learning when to let things go is very important. There are always several details that I decide I simply cannot fit in. This year, it was this adorable mushroom project from Design Dazzle. I saved newspapers for weeks beforehand and had all of the materials ready, but the week of her birthday I knew I would burn myself out if I went ahead with them, so I didn't!

Instead, I chose to focus on the easier details. Rose petals ice cubes in the water for guests, homemade butterfly sugar cookies for party favours, and my usual spread of themed desserts for the dessert buffet is what helped make her party special.

I spent about $15 on tissue paper to make my own homemade tissue paper flowers, and these served as the backdrop for the dessert buffet. Homemade cake pops, extra cookies and some lollies all centred around the beautiful cake from B-licious Cakes. I make my own (ameteur) cakes most of the time, but for big birthdays, I love hiring B-licious Cakes. She is absolutely my go-to cake lady. Her precision is next to none, and her cakes taste outstanding! Honestly, if I weren't working on my own career, I would be begging her for an apprenticeship so that I could learn all I can from her.



Unfortunately,  I wasn't able to get very clear photos of these - but party printables are my go-to for kid's parties now! I printed water bottle labels and all sorts of things. I used these fairy invites from TweetPartyPrintables, and they worked really well! My husband incorporated a photo of Aurora into the template, and I think it worked a treat :)


For food, I made a few salads (ramen salad, pasta salad etc) for sides, and had lots of meats for the main. I marinated my own pork ribs, but purchased all of the chicken pre-marinated. Again, it's about knowing when to let go - it can be hard to do every little thing homemade for parties.



We hired a "fairy" from Dreamscape. We've used them before, for Selene's 2nd birthday, and they always deliver :) They are the least expensive entertainment company I have found for kid's parties, and they have the sweetest staff members. This one stayed back by about 20 minutes, because I was being pulled aside by different party guests and hadn't had time to get a picture with her and Aurora!



With every event we are fortunate enough to host, I am reminded of just how beautiful the people in our lives are. Becoming a mother has brought some astounding women into my life, with equally amazing partners. We never know what life will bring, but I am sure many of their children will still be friends with Aurora and Selene for years to come - and for that, I am grateful!


Aurora's dress was from HandyMandyGirl on Etsy. She made and shipped the dress within a week, and the quality was amazing. You have to be careful with tutu dresses from Etsy if you are after a keepsake dress, because many of them are simply a stretch crochet bodice with strips of tutu tied in. This Lea Dress was similar, but the tulle was very high quality and sewn into a thick lace bodice. There were criss-cross satin straps around the back, which is handy if you are purchasing ahead of time and aren't sure what size your bubba's torso will be!

My dress was the well-known Garden State Dress from Unique Vintage. If there is any dress that could be deemed perfect for a fairy party, it's this one.


I use pinterest to organise all of my party ideas (and everything, really!), so if you'd like further Fairy Princess Party inspiration, the link to the board is here. 

Lastly, I just wanted to speak about Aurora. She has been the most beautiful ball of sunshine to ever grace my life. She is clever and learns quickly, constantly observing her sister so that she can do what she wants to as fast as possible! She is a tiny spitfire, with so much passion. I don't dream of any specific careers for my girls - that decision is theirs to make. I do see, however, that Aurora has so many qualities of a leader, and I can't wait to watch her grow into a young woman. In the mean time, I'll keep singing her all of her beloved lullabies and soaking in how tiny and vulnerable and beautiful she is. It is my honour to cuddle her to sleep and hold her when she is awake. No matter how tiring life can be, she fills our family with energy anew. Happy belated birthday, my tiny pixie. I love you forever and always.













Share:

1 comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig